I know, I know…Between the fried pickleness, bacon smothered salad, patriotic cupcakes, and beer “processed cheese product” cheese I’ve been seriously neglecting the fitness aspect of the blog. I promise, next week I’ll be starting anew. Next week, following my return from a small vacation weekend in Charleston. Next week, while J’s off gallivanting in France and I can’t really find the purpose of going to the grocery store when I can simply have popcorn for dinner.
Lucky for you, this is this week, not next, and we have another wonderful day filled with not-necessarily-healthy-for-you-but -if-you-ask-me-too-I-could-spin-it-so-it-sounds-healthy fare. Case and point: Sangria. Loaded with sugar, but also with fruit and fruit is good! It keeps the doctor away and is chock full of nutrients and antioxidants. Hey, for that matter, so is red wine! So drink up! It’s good for your heart and stuff.
Well don’t drink up unless you are home or have a designated driver. I don’t need any fools chugging down a jug of sangria because I told them to. Behave please.
Moving on – J and I hosted some friends in town last weekend for a late 4th of July fiesta on the Lake:
It was all kinds of fun and aside from making some my amazing chicken wing dip & mimosa muffins to munch on, I felt inspired to try my hand at a batch of sangria. By inspired, I actually mean we had about 15 bottles of red wine overflowing my wine rack and I wanted to figure out the best way to use it. Found it! Slice some fruit in it and serve it to thirsty friends!!
Now, this could easily be “skinnified” (I’ll make notes in the recipe) but once in a while, one should indulge in the glories of actual, not artificial, sugar. Also, note that this recipe is simply a guideline. If you have other fruit you want to throw in, by all means, it won’t hurt it. If you don’t have the right liquor on hand, use something else or omit it all together. You really can’t mess this one up.
Sassy Swan Sangria
Yields: About 8 cups
Difficulty: Stupid Easy
- Bottle of red wine – any will do but honestly the cheaper the better. I used ***
- 2 shots of peach schnapps
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or splenda/stevia/agave nectar)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- small 8 oz. can of pineapple chunks and its juice (or use fresh if you have it)
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 1 orange
- 4 cups ginger ale (diet, if you prefer)
- A handful of blueberries or grapes or both, frozen if possible.
- In a large pitcher with a lid (I got my little gem at the Wal-mart – in orange *Go Vols*), stir wine, liquor, sugar, and juice together until sugar is dissolved
- Halving the citrus fruit, squeeze one half of each fruit into the liquid and cut the other half into thin slices.
- Put the fruit slices, and can of pineapple in the wine/sugar mixture and stir.
- Let that bad boy hang out in the fridge for a few hours, overnight if possible.
- Right before serving, throw in the frozen berries (non-watery ice cubes…clever eh?) and stir in the ginger ale.
- Serve with soaked fruit and garnish with fruit slices over ice.
Hope you enjoy this one guys, it’s really quite good especially if you let it sit for a day or two.
Have a safe and happy weekend kiddos!