10 + 3.1

I wish I could act like a hard ass and tell you that I can take weeks (4 to be exact) off from running, eat everything I could get my hands on, and get back in the game like nothing every happened. Oh how I wish I could do this…but I can’t. I went of my first run on Sunday – 5 miles – no big deal, right? Wrong. Ugh, so wrong.

It started off pretty harmless enough. I avoided the hills and was felt like a champ for the first two miles, then it all went wrong. I suddenly became irrationally tired and my legs felt like lead. I thought, “I’m the Sassy Swan, runner of half marathons, I cannot be tired at mile 2!” and I pushed myself on. Well, it didn’t get much better. I stopped to walk and stretch a few times and continued to trudge along. By the time I was done, I could barely make it up the three flights of stairs to my apartment (the only con to living on the top floor) and collapsed on the sofa the moment I walked in the door.

I wish I could say that this was the worst part of it but then Monday rolled around and I was uncharacteristically sore. This isn’t supposed to happen to runners like me! I run 5 miles for giggles! Moral of the story: Do not take 4 weeks off of running, eat whatever you can get your hand on, and expect to be fine. You won’t be. You will be sore.

That being said, I am 99% sure I am unprepared to run a half marathon right now. The week long ski trip I have coming up on Friday pretty much seals the deal for the other 1%. Now before you get all “But you’re supposed to run a half marathon a month, Kate”, chill. I’ve got it all figured out – in a round-about way.

After finding out that the Charleston half marathon is on a Saturday, not a Sunday as previously thought, I will logistically be unable to run the race. This is double sad because Charleston is pretty fantastic and I’m now out about $65. So here I am: sad, out of shape, and poor – what’s a girl to do? Run a ten miler of course! MapCalhouns

I have signed up for the Calhoun’s 10 Miler here in Knoxville at the end of the month. Hopefully this gives me plenty of time to train and get my endurance back up and it only cost me ten bucks! My plan is to run my 10 miles, come home and wake J up, and run the last 3.1 miles with him. No, it’s technically not a half marathon as it won’t be all at once, but at the end of the day, I’ll have run 13.1 miles and that’s all I’m concerned with. Plus, this breaks up the monotony of the 12 consecutive half marathons. Just keeping things interesting over here.

So, unless one of the estimated 14 readers who actually run give a crap care, this is my plan for now. Any objections, comments, or concerned of the legitimacy of my half marathon a month project feel free to voice your opinion below. And then go run 12 half marathons in 12 months while having two jobs, a blog, and a social life.

Happy Wednesday and happy running!

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “10 + 3.1

  1. Kudos to you for changing things up and running a 10k! I admire what you’ve accomplished so far and I don’t think that you should beat yourself up for skipping one month! I’m still sad that you won’t be in Charleston! It’s restaurant week that weekend so my girls and I already have reservations at 5 or 6 places…which will probably begin a month of not running and eating poorly for me! But I’m going to enjoy it 🙂

  2. You FAIL…I only have one job, a blog and a social life…suck it up K! Just kidding…10+3 counts…just put a nice asterisk next to it. These goals are for you and not us…I am still impressed.

  3. Pingback: Ice Day | The Sassy Swan

  4. Pingback: Running Isn’t an Option | The Sassy Swan

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s