Alright – for all you cabbage haters of the world, save it. I know you think it smells funny and tastes weird, and you have horror stories of your mom boiling it into oblivion thus rendering the house smelling borderline offensive (maybe that was just me?) but hear me out. I’m going to get you to like cabbage. How you ask? I’m going to smother it in bacon grease then top it with heavenly bacon crumbles, that’s how.
Some of you may remember my Bacon Spinach and Tomato salad from last summer. This is the pretty much the same concept except sans the tomato and I’m replacing the spinach with some hearty cabbage. It stands up well to the bacon vinaigrette and, unlike pretty much every other salad ever, get’s better the longer it sits.
Not to mention this whole thing is super cheap. We like cheap at Casa de Swan – more money to spend on overpriced wedding shoes.
Yields: 4 servings
Difficulty: Easy, watch for bacon splatters!
- Half a head of cabbage, shredded
- 3 strips of bacon
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoon Sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Place the sliced cabbage in a large bowl and set aside
- Fry the bacon until crispy, removing the bacon to a paper towel but keeping the drippings.
- Mix the vinegar, sugar, and water in a small bowl, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the vinegar mixture in with the bacon drippings and stand back or you’ll get a good chance to clear your sinuses.
- Stir until the mixture comes to a boil and immediately pour onto the cabbage
- Take the crispy bacon strips and crumble.
- Top the cabbage with the bacon crumbles, fresh cracked pepper (the more the merrier) and salt if needed.
- Toss and serve